of vehicles and parts for sale. Thanks to all that attended and hope to see you at our Club events taking place this year.
of vehicles and parts for sale. Thanks to all that attended and hope to see you at our Club events taking place this year.
Hi Everyone. Two events of note this weekend:
1). Old English Car Club Show, Swap and Sale at the Heritage Acres on the Pat Bay Highway 12 April 2015. Heritage Acres, admission is $3.00 per person, (Children under 12 free). http://www.oecc.ca/event_ads/2015_Resto_Fair_Poster.pdf
2). For those interested there will be an After Easter scavenger hunt around the City of Nanaimo. The Mini Nanaimo dealer is hosting. Those interested can RSVP by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-250-585-6959. The time of this event is from 11:30am to 2:30pm at the Nanaimo dealership located at 2470 Kenworth Road.
For people attending either event please take some pictures and even submit a small writeup about the event.
Poker Run Results
We had seven cars participate with 21 poker hands purchased for the Shawnigan lake Poker Run. Although the rain tried to dampen the fun I believe we are had a good day capped off with a great dinner at the Four Mile Pub. Congratulations to Alan for the best hand and Duane for second best hand.
This year the ABFM at Van Dusen Gardens in Vancouver had 527 cars, and the weather held with overcast sky, followed by sunshine! The Minis/MINI count was a little lower this year, but some pretty nice ones showed up. From our club, Merville and Doug were on show with their new MINI and I took over the Mini GTM Coupe. We reconnected with old friends from the Vancouver Mini Club and the Seattle Area Mini Owners club. Overall it was a great show!
Our next Event!
The February club event will be the “Seven Mountain Tour”. This drive / rally will challenge your fear of mountains without gaining elevation or using up those valuable brake pads.
When: Sunday February 9th, starting from Tim Horton’s at the corner of Cedar Hill Rd. and Shelbourne St. at 1:00 o’clock.
What: The drive is approximately 50kms (if completed properly), as with all our drives there will be some surmountable twists and turns, ending up at a local Cidery for a tour, taste and awarding the winner their trophy.
How: Instructions will be given out at the start, no copilot necessary, only 7 questions to answer and all makes and models welcome, if the mini is unlicensed.
Some people say there isn’t much to do during rainy weekends, but, that hasn’t stopped Alan. Hedecided to build a custom matching trailer for his Moke. Great job Alan!I can’t wait to see it in person. I like how Alan paid attention to the details like how the shape of the trailer fenders match the Moke. Check out some of the build pictures below.
The MG club was gracious to include us again in their New Years Day rally and lunch event. A great way to celebrate the bringing in of the new year. We had 19 mini club members out with 10 Minis in attendance. The MG club had approximately 36 members show up with MGB’s, an MG TD, MGA, MG Y saloon, and several Jaguars to name a few. Mini’s representation included a couple classic Minis, a couple new Coopers, a couple new Mini Cooper S’s, a John Cooper Works GP, a Mini Paceman and a Mini Countryman. There were even a couple heavily modified Minis that resembled a Corvette and Land Rover. Everyone was impressed with Gord’s new Mini Countryman that sported 1.75 inch lowering springs and 19 inch JCW wheels giving it a nice riding stance. Below are some pictures from today’s event. The wide angle photo at cattle point was submitted by Erin Hartley. Thanks Erin! Also are some pictures of MG’s and Mini’s from Alan also.
Happy New Year!
Message from your events coordinator;
Our first run of the year will be on News Years day. We will join up with the Victoria MG club at 11:30 am at Cattle Point. We will have about a 1 hour drive (usually with questions) and end up at JJ Morgans Restaurant for lunch at 1:00. We’ve had 14 people in the mini club already confirm they want to attend plus 36 from the MG Club.
Please confirm attendance A.S.A.P so numbers can be confirmed.
Well it has been an unusually dry October so far and the Victoria Minis Car Club 2012-2013 driving year is coming to a close on 31 October 2013.
15 October VMCC Monthly Meeting – We had a great meeting with some interesting vehicles including Dylan’s Electric Mini and Ian’s updated Mini. We had an International presence as Lammo, a Mini enthusiast from Germany attended the meeting and took several pictures. We provided him a Cap and a Mug as a goodwill gesture on behalf of the Club.
Club Dues — A reminder that you can pay the 2012 – 2013 and/or next year’s(1 November 2013- 31 October 2014 dues ($30.00) anytime by contacting MikeSmith by email@example.com or by phone: 250-477-9650.
Club’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) 2 November 2013 R.S.V.P. — The Club’s Annual General Meeting will be taking place Saturday, 2 November 2013 at the Princess Mary Café 459 Head St, Victoria, BC V9A 5S1, Canada. Dinner will start at 6 p.m. with the meeting scheduled to start at 7 p.m. It will be a sit down service and you can order from the menu. It caters to all and has items that are gluten-free and various items for those that have allergies as well. You can order what you like as you are paying for what you want.
It would be great if I could get an idea of how many are attending; so please R.S.V.P. to me by 28 October 2013 at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Thanks to Dana and Lloyd for suggesting the restaurant.
Tuesday, 15 October 2013 at 7 pm-ish – Mike Smith will be hosting the meeting.
Here is the address and telephone of Mike and Deb Smith’s home:
1849 Francisco Terrace
Victoria V8N 4W2
Tel: 250-477-9650 for directions if you cannot find it.
Hi Everyone, I have some new stuff to tell you about:
1. Horticultural Centre of the Pacific 10 – 11 August 2013 (Sat & Sun). There is a special event being held at the Horticultural Centre of the Pacific 10 – 11 August 2013 (Sat & Sun). Cars should be in place around 10 am as the show starts at 11 am each day and there is a Parade of cars at the end of the day around 4:40 pm. You can attend one or both days, your choice. You can sign up ahead of time on the page through this link:
http://hcp.ca/antiques-3/ or arrive on the day as well. Bring a chair and an umbrella. Food and refreshments are available, but you can also bring your own and enjoy a very good show. Your car is your price of admission.
2. Thursday, 15 August 2013 Monthly Meeting – Doug and Merville are inviting us to their home for the meeting. It commences at 7 pm-ish. We will be discussing the upcoming Poker Run, the unveiling of a new mini to the Hall family, and other items of interest. Here is the address:
10287 Bowerbank Rd. in Sidney. First right turn after the lights at Beacon Ave. travelling North on the Pat Bay Hwy. (#17 for those from off the Island!)
Hope to see you there and once again, if you have any thing you would like to discuss, you can do so at the meeting or through the Club’s website Forum http://victoriaminis.com/forum/?mingleforumaction=viewforu.0m&f=17
Lots of great events and meetings have taken place so far this year and more are on the way.
1. All British Meet at the Filberg Sunday, 17-18 Aug 2013 – The OECC Comox Valley branch is going to hold a Show and Shine at The Filberg Heritage Lodge and Park. There is much more happening in the area prior to the Saturday evening get-together. On Saturday, 17 August, the COMOX Air Show is being held. There is lots to see so if you travel on Friday, then you have all day Saturday at the airshow and then can do the OECC activity. If you want to get a place to stay, you better book soon. Be sure to check the website http://www.oecc.ca/cvb/upcoming.html and the Welcome and judging information link. If you know anyone else wanting to go, tell them they are very welcome to join us. Please ensure that your car is capable of making the trip. If you are planning to attend, email Terry at Terry_Hogan@shaw.ca or phone 250 472-1550. If I do not answer, leave a message and I will get back to you.
2. Cowichan Mill Bay Picnic 11 August 2013 – Held at the Brentwood School Field in Mill Bay. Contact 205 743-9114 for more information about this event. This year the picnic will be held on:
Sunday, August 11 , 2013 ( our 28th year! )
Location: Main Field, Brentwood College – Mill Bay
Entry Fee: $15
Once again the Rotary Club will provide a food concession.
Please contact David Knott for more information (250-743-1821) or email@example.com
For those driving in the Convoy, please meet at the Valley View Shopping Centre (junction of TCH and Cobble Hill / Cowichan Valley Rd) at 10:30 am. Convoy will leave at 11 am
3. Oak Bay Collector Car Festival 11 August 2013 – The Blethering Place Collector Car Festival stands apart from other car shows in that not-yet-finished cars are welcomed and eagerly sought out for participation. Cars begin arriving on the Avenue at 8 a.m. Participants are expected to stay until 4 p.m. Cost is $15.00 payable at the gate.
4. Portland, OR ABFM at the Portland International Raceway 30 Aug – 2 Sep 2013 – Here is the link for the Portland ABFM http://www.abfm-pdx.com/2013 The plan so far is to depart Victoria on Friday, 30 August 2013 on the 6:10 am COHO (Black Ball) ferry https://cohoferry.com/main/? Fares . It is recommended to book well in advance to ensure you are loaded on. We will meet inside the parking area of the Ferry Terminal, and it is a good idea to get a coffee before going into it. The departure time is either Sunday or Monday or whenever. Several cars plan to travel on Monday and board the 5:20 p.m. COHO at Port Angeles. If you plan to do this then Book in advance as a Return rather than One-Way. Again, your choice.
We will take the non I-5 route meaning the Hwy 101, 8, 12 , etc. down to the hotel. Final route has not been yet determined, but it won’t be long before we have it. This route takes about 7.5 hours including a lunch stop. We will arrive about 3-4 pm and there will be a registration pick up and social reception later at the PIR (Portland International Raceway) in the evening.
We do not usually partake in the Saturday BBQ Dinner, as in the past, we found it to be somewhat lacking and we usually go out as a group to eat somewhere else, but that is your decision.
We will be staying at this hotel. Again, your choice if you want to stay there as well. There are many hotels in the area.
9930 North Whitaker Road
Portland, OR 97217, United States
If you are planning to attend, email Terry at Terry_Hogan@shaw.ca or phone 250 472-1550. If I do not answer, leave a message and I will get back to you. Check out the Club website forum on the subject: http://victoriaminis.com/forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=75 Offer any suggestions or thoughts about this trip.
If you know anyone else wanting to join our team, tell them they are very welcome to join us. Please ensure that your car is capable of making the trip. Although, I am not worried, I am still getting Richard Ford to look over Toots to make sure it is ready.
5. Monthly Meeting on Thursday 15 August, 2013 – Does anyone wish to host the Meeting? It will start at 7 p.m.-ish. You never know what kind of a car may show up and this is a good chance to talk about and show what you have done with your cars as well.
For further information regarding events contact Dwayne Kalynchuk.
Terry (aka Da Prez!)
Well, the hats have arrived and Mike Smith (Membership/Treasurer) has them for distribution. It is one hat per membership, and additional hats can be purchased for $15.00 dollars each. There is a limited supply.
12 June 2013 – I think it is time for a Wednesday Evening Drive. If you are interested, meet at Tim Horton’s (behind the Petro Canada Gas Station at the corner of Cedar Hill Cross Road and Shelbourne St. We will be leaving at 7pm-ish for a nice drive. We will probably have the hats there for distribution as well.
16 June 201 – Father’s Day Picnic in Beacon Hill Park adjacent to the Cricket Pitch. Departure from Tim Horton’s at Ravine Way and Blanchard St. (same area as Save-On-Foods) is 9 am-ish. On that date, several of us will be on our way to
Mini Meet West in Bend OR, so will not be attending. Have fun and hope to hear about it when we get back.
Well, things have been happening, we have a great revised website created by our new Website Master, Duane Chapman. Check it out and join the forum which is moderated by Shawn and Duane.
No Meeting on 15 March as we are having a drive on the Sunday and if any points should be considered I will talk about them then.
Peninsula Run – Next Sunday 17 March – Not only is it St Patrick’s Day, but there is a Peninsula Run designed by the ’infamous’ Doug and Merville team. The drive questions are being sent by email to all whom have emailed Doug stating they wanted to participate. If you want to have some Sunday fun, email Doug and Merville at firstname.lastname@example.org . We need to know numbers as we are having lunch at the much heralded Beacon Landing Restaurant and Pub. If you are not sure if you can make it, and make a late decision; join us at the Beaver Lake Filter Beds Parking Lot for a 10:30 am start.. Check out the “Next Event” tab on the website for the Peninsula Run information.
Also The South Island Branch of the Old English Car Club invites you to the 8th Annual British Car Restoration Fair and Swap Meet at Heritage Acres (Saanich Historical Artifacts Society) on Lochside Dr. Central Saanich adjacent to Hwy 17 Pat Bay Hwy on Sunday 14 April 2013. We usually set up around 9 am, and have a display of at least two cars to give some exposure for the Club. Entry for this event is $3.00 per person at the gate. See the info at http://www.oecc.ca/sib/SIB%20Events.htm .
The Vancouver International Auto Show is on at the Vancouver Convention Centre . Western Canada’s largest auto show is taking place 25 – 30 March.